Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I was reading a few of my favorite Persian blogs when I saw these photos of "happy" Europeans holding flags... asking for the U.S. troops to leave Iraq. I tried to find an article I'd written about Iraq's liberation but could not... so I went deepwater fishing in my archive and found this post...

Thursday, April 10, 2003


In my view, oil cannot be separated from the geopolitical equations of the Middle East. At the same time, however, I believe it is misleading to attribute the roots of this conflict to oil alone. In order to defeat communism or the so-called -evil empire, the US found weird bedfellows among Islamic fundamentalists and stayed ambivalent about them for almost a decade after the old adversary was defeated. The tragic events of September 11, or in Professor Fred Holliday's words the two hours that shook the world changed the paradigm of international relations forever. The world of the 21st century won't be one in which tyrants and fanatics are supported/appeased by democracies. It will be a world built on alliance of democracies, which together deal the final blow to fundamentalism and terrorism. I see Iraqis liberation as the first step towards that end. The US has come to realize the importance of security in the region and the inseparable relationship between security and democracy in that region. I truly hope that this leads to democratization of the region and peace for everyone just As US Intervention In Europe Brought Prosperity To The Continent.

...don't you wanna share your happy hour with the rest of us?