Friday, July 15, 2005

"Iranian dissidents appealed to the United Nations to support calls for freedom for Akbar Ganji, the brave writer who is being tortured in Tehran for the sin of exposing the murderous activities of the theocratic regime of the Islamic republic.The top dog at the U.N., Kofi Annan, declined to take a stand, claiming he did not know enough to have an opinion."
Michael Ledeen
-----
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
via Iranian Times

This candle is dying out, but its voice will not

"Many inside and outside the country ask why I have staged a hunger strike and why I am trying to reach legitimate ends through self-destruction. Is it not true that practical rationality demands that the ends and the means to those ends be in proportion with each other? Is it not true that theoretic rationality demands that for all claims (opinions and beliefs) suitable reasons should be offered? Is my action consistent with practical and theoretic rationality? Am I not considered a madman by intellectuals and liberals and human rights defenders? Here I shall try, despite the extreme physical weakness that has completely worn me out, to share my views clearly with everyone."

Akbar Ganji
Second Letter to the Free People of the World
read the rest on /Free Ganji