Friday, August 25, 2006

It was around last year when a journalist asked for my opinion on Reading Lolita in Tehran. I said: to me the book seems as something to impress the Western audience. It is not a great read but the author is one of the few Iranian intellectuals who doesn't blame everything on the Imperialistic United States and nourish on the very same blood and bones. Azar Nafisi argues her points with good logic and in her interviews she comes forth as a reasonably honest Iranian. This is more than what I can say about Hamid Dabashi. I am amazed at this guy and his likes (his groupies are included). They live in this country, study, or have a high paid job in the U.S. – the same country he calls Imperialist- but shamelessly pinpoint at people who in fact want nothing but freedom and democracy for Iran and are thankful to the U.S. for giving them voice. The way this man has stitched sky to earth (Persian phrase) to prove there is a neo-con conspiracy is beyond me! And what is so bad with a regime change in Iran? Ah! I guess the U.S. dollar paid professor has to shave his face off the cleric's beard! And by shaving his beard the conspiracy theory of him being partly supported by the Cut Throat regime of Iran will fall off the Columbia University's roof top! In any case once October arrives Azar Nafisi with Shohreh Aghdashloo will be recognized by The World Academy of Arts, Literature, and Media for their contributions to the Iranian culture. When I was invited to send in a comment I gladly did. And here is our very own Peyvand Khorsandi and his piece on the infamous professor. It may not be hilarious but it sure has good humor written all over it. And a link to Peyvand's blog.