Friday, May 02, 2008

SEVEN VALLEYS OF LOVE

I was born on a November day in 1972 in a room on the third floor of Hashtroudian hospital in Tehran, Iran. Not the kind of information you were looking for? Okay, here is a more detailed one:
I wake each morning to the lovely sound of my few-months-old baby and with a body not fully recovered from the shock of an emergency c-section, I get ready to feed the now-all-screaming-up apple-pie. Once I am finished feeding, I go to wake up my daughter who asks for more time to sleep to which I respond: No.
Of course, while all of the above is exciting I should stay with the original plan which was to announce the release of my recent publication, a bilingual anthology of women poets from Middle Ages Persia to present day Iran. I started working on this anthology after losing my mother to breast cancer. I chose to work through my grieving period. I also like to thank Ms. Pouran Farrokhzad for giving me the permission to use and translate a selection of Persian poems from Zanan-e Hamisheh, a contemporary anthology in Persian, for this anthology.