Wednesday, April 19, 2006

...parts of an e-mail from a reader

"You do point out many obvious infractions on "human rights". However let me clue you in on something, "human rights" infractions extend to all parts of the world. I hope you realize that there is so much attention given to the human rights infractions in Iran because Iran represents some of the biggest natural gas and oil reserves in the world.

Here are some examples of human rights violations in other countries:
1. A man named David Irving will spend three years in prison for being a bad boy by not accepting the 6 million Jews dying number in the holocaust.
2. Israel (do I need to get into specifics with their human rights violations?)
3. Saudi Arabia does not allow for women to vote or drive. These are just some obvious violations.
4. The United States has military bases in approximately 75% of the countries in the world. The USA since WWII has been in conflicts in: Central America, Cuba, Vietnam, Korea, Persian Gulf War I and II, Afghanistan, Cold war, and in addition, the USA has supplied billions and billions of dollars worth of military weapons to countries like your country of Iran and Iraq and according to Tony Benn, he himself was urged in the 70's to give Iran nuclear capability.

I guess the best thing you can do is to just keep on asking questions and try to force these politicians to answer them and be accountable. Here is the difference between a country like Iran and a country like the USA or most European Nations:

In the USA we will hide behind "democracy and fear" while in Iran we will hide behind "Islam and religion and even being a Martyr". In the end the big people win and the little shits lose. When the little shits get real mad they revolt and then we have a thing called a civil war. Then a person will come to power and start the entire process over and this vicious cycle will continue for a long time."

My Response:

My heart and prayers are with everyone who fights for human rights all over the globe. However, I would like to focus on the country I know best and love most, i.e. Iran. In regards to your other comments:

1) The gentleman you refer to has been convicted according to "hate-speech" laws, which are particular to countries like Austria and Germany that feel responsible for the Holocaust. Although, I don't believe anyone should be banned from speaking his or her mind, I leave it up to the conscience of these nations to decide whether Holocaust denial deserves punishment. I am sure the voice of the people is heard in such countries, unlike Iran. They don't need you and me to decide for them.
2) Israel is one of the countries (and the only country in the middle east) that does not have death penalty. Last time I checked, there was no public hanging, executions or stoning in Israel. Israel has the right to defend herself against terrorists who blow up innocent people in nightclubs, bus stops, and pizzerias.
3) Saudi Arabia is a backward regime too and so what? Why do we always have to compare ourselves with the worst? According to this logic, as long as one backward regime exists on earth, that regime can be used to minimize the human rights violations in Iran. You can keep on applying your moral equivalence to the worst of worst. I don't do that. I tend to compare Iran with the best of best and feel miserable when we turn out to be so far behind.
4) The American presence has created wonders for South Koreans while the communist North is living in fear and backwardness. America liberated Afghans from the barbaric rule of Taliban. Possession of nuclear capability by Iran is neither morally right nor morally wrong per se. I have serious problems with the intentions and the manner by which this regime is trying to go nuclear. The regime's utter disregard for safety and well being of the Iranian citizens is another important factor.

I choose the best thing I can do and you choose the best thing you can do. Your best is the best for you and my best will be the best for me. If you for example want to go ahead to keep Saudi Royal family responsible for their actions, be my guest, I wish you the best of luck and support you 100% in your endeavor. As I said, I'd like to focus on the country I know the best and love the most.